Open Office problems

Mark Kirkwood markir at paradise.net.nz
Sat Dec 20 21:35:35 UTC 2008

Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> Mark Kirkwood wrote:
>

>> What Steve is alluding to is a plug-in for Firefox that lets you alter
>> how web pages appear via Javascript:
>>
>> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/748
>>

>     That IS interesting but it has ZERO to do with the open office
> problem. The same as reloading Hardy and virus protection :-)

Hmm - while I agree that the reinstall advice is completely incorrect,
the Greasemonky comment is potentially relevant - with some javascript
foo you can alter the ordering of the returned search items from any
search engine (in fact there isn't much you can't do to a web page...).

Now I suspect that you are *not* a javascript programmer, so (as Steve
implied) this is (or was) unlikely to be your problem.

I see from another post that the issue was those annoying sponsored
links - yeah, complain to Google about them. A few years ago I
encountered a similar sort of thing - a search on DB2 brought up
"Convert from DB2 to Oracle" as a sponsored link at the top of the 1st
page. I complained about it, and while Google weasel-worded me about how
they had done no evil - the link disappeared quite soon aftrerwards.

regards

Mark