Hunting for an AWOL folder

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Fri Dec 19 18:05:37 UTC 2008

Peter N. Spotts wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> An odd question: What's the most efficient way to hunt for a folder
> that appears to have gone AWOL? I was using Thunar to drag the folder
> to another one (both in my user directory). The folder vanished from
> its old home, but failed to appear in the new one. I've looked in
> several folders one by one, and can't find it. But there's gotta be a
> better way to do that...Unfortunately, the missing folder carries the
> name "local" so when I run the "locate" command, you can imagine how
> many of those show up in my terminal!
>
> With best regards,
>
> Pete

cd /
sudo find -name local -type d

Using sudo just in case the folder got stuck somewhere you don't have
read permission.  this is very unlikely however, since you were able to
move it there in the first place (and must therefore have write
permission).  If you aren't sure about the capitalization of local, use
-iname instead of name for a case insensitive search.