WLAN not working rt2500

en0f at bokey.mine.nu en0f at bokey.mine.nu
Fri Dec 19 14:38:17 UTC 2008

ello,

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 03:00:02PM +0100, Axel Heinrici wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a MSI S270 laptop branded "Medion". It seems I got everything
> working with kubuntu 8.04 except for WLAN.
> My problem is there is too much of information on the web and there are
> lots of ways how set the network up properly. It still didn't get the
> full picture of how wpasupplicant, networkmanager, native devices,
> avahi etc. are playing together. I am willing to read documentation but
> I still need some help to get a general overview.
>
> My topology:
> I have a linux router making connection to the internet and running a
> DHCP server. Connected to that I have a linksys access point (just
> accesspoint and not a router). The access point is using WPA-encryption

Few thoughts: wpa-supplicant is needed.

> which is running fine with windows and my symbian cell phone. Ethernet
> connection is also workig.
>
> Situation:
> ifconfig shows 5 interfaces : eth0, lo, wlan0, wlan0, wlan0:avahi and
> wmaster0.

eth0, lo, wlan0: seems fine to me.

I suggest you disable/remove avahi:
$ sudo invoke-rc.d avahi-daemon stop;
$ sudo ifdown wlan0:avahi;

What's wmaster0?
Also note, Avahi's a piece of **ap software TBH and mucks up lot of stuffs.

Do that and then reconfigure your interface with Knetworkmanager or whatever its called.

[...]

--
	en0f