how to disable pulseaudio

Sonal Santan sonal.santan at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 01:01:58 UTC 2008

I fully agree with you on the challenges these hacks impose for a new
Ubuntu user. In my opinion PA is an over engineered and badly done
package. Unfortunately just when all applications and vendors were
standardizing on ALSA, PA introduced so much of confusion, breakage and
sound quality issues. At least on Ubuntu, PA should have been an add-on
and not the default.

Regarding your question of alsamixer with pulseaudio, just kill
pulseaudio and every thing is good again :-)