openoffice menus show as lines and dialog boxes are blank [SOLVED]

dwain dwain.alford at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 07:47:21 UTC 2008

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 8:23 PM, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> So this only happened after you installed OOo Base (using standard
> Ubuntu OOo)? Have you set your java? Base requires java. What do you see
> when you select Tools|Options|Open...|Java?
>
> I'd recommend, opening a terminal (you can do this from Synaptic, but
> this is faster) Applications|Accessories|Terminal and then cut & paste
> the following commands in one at a time (press enter after each one):
>
> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get upgrade
> sudo apt-get install sun-j2re1.6
> mv -R ~/.openoffice.org ~/.openoffice.org
> sudo apt-get install --reinstall openoffice.org
>
> The last one will pull in OOo Base so there is no need to install
> separately. The sun-j2rel.6 will pull in Java, and you will be prompted
> to accept the agreement, just keep pressing page down until you get to
> the y/n part and enter y and then enter key.
>
> After you do all of that, restart OOo from the menu
> (Applications|Office). See if that gives you menu's w/icons back. Then
> go to Tools|Options|Open...|Java and when it finally shows the Sun java,
> click that and then OK.

i did like you wrote, but apt-get couldn't find the sun package.  i
then proceeded with synaptics.  i installed java jre6 and then went
back to the terminal and reinstalled ooo and i still get lines instead
of text for the menu items, blank spaces in the drop down menus and
large blanks when i open options.

i guess that all i'l be able to do is surf the internet, which is the
primary use of this box anyway.

cheers,
dwain

--
"Fear of the devil is one way of doubting God.  " - Kahlil Gibran