Please help new hard drive install

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Thu Dec 18 07:28:04 UTC 2008

Knapp wrote:
> OK, I am a bit lost.
> I have 2 copies of my partitions one on drive sda (old one) and one on sdb
> the new one. I want to change my root partition to be the one on the new
> drive but both must be labeled / right? Also there is no uuid for the new
> partition, as best as I can tell because it is not mounted, so how do I get
> the id? I could use a label / but then how would it know which one to use?
> Anyway, as I said, I am lost!
> Thanks for all the help so far.

blkid command will display the UUID of all your partitions.

You have to edit the /etc fstab file on your new partition, not the old :).

You also have to fix /boot/grub/menu.lst (because you are changing the
root drive)

And finally, you will then have to run grub-install on your new drive,
then you should be ready to remove the old hard drive and verify that
your system can boot with the new one by itself.