have question

Mark Barton mark at atldes.com
Wed Dec 17 18:18:14 UTC 2008

Rashkae wrote:
> happy singh kilhor wrote:
>
>> hello
>>
>> congratulation for the new version.
>>
>> i have a question about the installation of ubuntu:-
>>
>> what is the minimum system requirement for Ubuntu 8.10 instalation?
>>
>> i have a p3 700mhzs 252 ram and 20gb hdd.Is it possible to install the new
>> version of ubuntu on it?and if not which version will do fine on my machine.
>>

> Your system is very low on RAM.. if you want to install Ubuntu, you
> should use the alt-install CD
>
> Even then, be aware that memory hungry applications such as Firefox or
> Open Office running on the Gnome desktop will very quickly overwhelm the
> RAM of your system and be very slow

Here is a couple of reference points. I have a old Dell Dimension and a
Micron PC that have 800 MHz PIII's and 256 GiB memory. The Micron has
Ubuntu 8.04 installed whereas the Dell has Ubuntu 8.10 (well actually
Edubuntu). I installed both using the respective live CD. Neither
machine is my primary computer so they are mostly used for testing,
browsing (using Firefox) and some word processing. Both perform more
than satisfactorily for my purposes. Surprisingly well in fact.

HTH,
Mark