Please help new hard drive install

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Wed Dec 17 15:39:35 UTC 2008

Knapp wrote:
> Hello, I just got a new 750gb hd. My old hd is 170gb or so. I would like to
> do 2 things. First and foremost, I would like to move my home dir to the new
> drive.
>
> The new drive is now partitioned with a 8gb swap and then a 3ext section. I
> would also like to make a small partition for doing things like installing
> 8.10 for testing out the new kde 4, so some sort of duel boot but only with
> linux. I don't use windows at all save for a bit of wine.
>
> I used gparted to get this far and I see how I could mount it but how do you
> copy and move the home partition??
>
> Also I welcome any advice about how to set this up so my computer runs
> faster by having the right partitions on the right drives!

I personally would be tempted to try using something like partimage or
another clone program (I think gparted can copy partitions too) to clone
your current non-swap partitions to the new hard drive then use gparted
to expand the partition sizes as necessary to fill the new drive, see if
that works.

If the names of partitions change you might have to tell it to mount
things a little differently, but it might save some copying effort.

Just make sure there are backups first!