Ubuntu on a stick

Karl F. Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 21:06:18 UTC 2008

Neil Cherry wrote:
> Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>

>>     Well the info you send says I need to take the .iso image off of the
>> CD-Rom it is on and put it on the hard drive. Is this correct? All the
>> Google things are in another language.
>>

> I used Unetbootin and let it download the ISO image. If you want to
> grab the image off the CD just:
>
> dd if=/dev/sdb of=cdimage.iso bs=4k
>
> Change the names as appropriate and that's from memory so you may need
> to check the man page.

    I used the following after looking at /dev and trying one that
didn't work.

karl at karl-hardy:~/Desktop$ dd if=/dev/cdrom of=ubuntu-8.10-i386.iso bs=4k

and that I could see was working because the CD was running. It made the
file and I used the file with unetbootin and put the file on my 1 GB
stick. Then I tried the stick on my laptop and it worked just great. I
had to choose Default.

    So many thanks. I had forgot dd and should not have done so.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User