localhost or LAN addresses in /etc/hosts

Neil Cherry ncherry at linuxha.com
Tue Dec 16 07:25:36 UTC 2008

NoOp wrote:
> On 12/15/2008 04:30 PM, Chris G wrote:

>>> Question: what happens when the single machine with dnsmasq is
>>> down/off-line etc? Wouldn't you be better off putting the IP's in the
>>> /etc/hosts files of each machine (adjusted accordingly of course)?
>>>
>> Er, the same as happens when the router is down - not much!  :-)
>>

> Yes, but then you must keep the dnsmasq machine up at all times - what
> ever happend to 'green'... :-)

Well my central server is running my home automation (and everything
else). My DHCP and DNS/Cache runs off the same machine. When it fails
the network is mostly down. I can kick the wrt54g into duty (using
dnsmasq). My current DNS is tinydns. When I admin a new address
I have a few files to update but then again I have a lot more devices
than your average home (I've reserved some 50 addresses). I also use
tinydns/dnscache to block access to certain IP addresses, domains
and/or hosts.

Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry at linuxha.com