mounted directory repeating unexpected files and directories

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Mon Dec 15 20:51:50 UTC 2008

NoOp wrote:

> he doesn't have smbfs installed. So you may have found the issue.

I don't think it's going to be that simple.  The smbfs package should
provide the mount.cifs and mount.smbfs help applications, which I think
you need in order to mount shares using NetBios names, but Noah is
successfully mounting the share by ip address, and at that point, the
cifs module is all part of the Kernel.

I can't wait to hear what the is causing this when we eventually find out.

My next suggestion for Noah, however, is to navigate to the shared
directory with smbclient

smbclient //servername/music -Unoah

then cd Madona/Music  and ls

See if the correct file listing is returned.

That way, you will know if there is something strange happening on the
samba server, or if this is all some strange kernel bug with a
subdirectory name that's the same as a share name (or the name of the
directory with is shared,, this is all so confusing)