mounted directory repeating unexpected files and directories

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 15 19:31:52 UTC 2008

On 12/15/2008 11:14 AM, Rashkae wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> On 12/14/2008 07:43 PM, Rashkae wrote:
>>
>>> The new kernel module is cifs.  smbfs was left in there because it was
>>> needed to connect to old file servers (such as Windows for Workgroups).
>>>  I think cifs works for that now as well, but don't quote me on that.
>>>
>>> smbfs package is still needed, but your fstab should be mounding cifs
>>> where possible.  The most immediate difference you will notice, smbfs
>>> does not support files > 2GB, wheras cifs does.
>>>

>> Thanks for the info. Found:
>> http://samba.org/samba/smbfs/
>>   http://linux-cifs.samba.org/
>>
>> G.
>>

> The interesting part though, I was re-reading Noah's message, and I see
> that even though he specified smbfs in fstab, the mtab shows the
> filesystem as cifs.
>
> Looks like smbfs was finally removed from the kernel and is now just an
> alias for cifs.

Ah.

//192.168.1.20/Music    /mnt/mybook-music smbfs
userid=<username>,passwd=<password>,rw 0 0

As according to this:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpSamba
[CIFS section]
for cifs it should be:

//myserver_ip_address/myshare  /media/samba_share  cifs
credentials=/etc/samba/user,noexec  0 0

SMBFS section is directly below.
<quote>
Mounting a share on the local filesystem allows you to work around
programs that do not yet use GnomeVFS to browse remote shares
transparently. To mount a SMB share, first install smbfs:
</quote>

and from his:

server side version details:
<quote>
[root at MyBookMusic Madonna]# ipkg list_installed | grep samba
samba - 3.2.4-1 - Samba suite provides file and print services to
SMB/CIFS clients.

client version details:
$ dpkg --list | grep samba
ii  samba                                      3.0.28a-1ubuntu4.7
                             a LanManager-like file and printer server
for Unix
ii  samba-common                               3.0.28a-1ubuntu4.7
</quote>

he doesn't have smbfs installed. So you may have found the issue.

@Noah: can you have a look at the urls that I provided, particularly
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpSamba
and reset your fstab et al for CIFS to see if that fixes the problem?