mounted directory repeating unexpected files and directories

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Mon Dec 15 03:43:27 UTC 2008

NoOp wrote:
> On 12/14/2008 07:10 PM, Rashkae wrote:
>> Noah wrote:
>>
>>> //192.168.1.20/Music    /mnt/mybook-music smbfs
>>> userid=<username>,passwd=<password>,rw 0 0
>>>

>> I doubt this is your problem, but you should be using cifs instead of
>> smbfs.  smbfs is depricated.
>
> Interesting...
>
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?searchon=names&keywords=+smbfs
>
> seems to indicate that it is supported. Works for me on hardy &
> intrepid. Am I missing something? (note: not sarcastic question).

The new kernel module is cifs.  smbfs was left in there because it was
needed to connect to old file servers (such as Windows for Workgroups).
 I think cifs works for that now as well, but don't quote me on that.

smbfs package is still needed, but your fstab should be mounding cifs
where possible.  The most immediate difference you will notice, smbfs
does not support files > 2GB, wheras cifs does.