Server freezes when in Dom-0 / xen 3.2

Karl F. Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 13 18:40:38 UTC 2008

Florian Primessnig wrote:
> Steve Flynn schrieb:
>
>> On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 4:09 PM, Florian Primessnig <florian at subnet.at> wrote:
>>

>>> hey group,
>>>
>>> i got a rly nasty problem here.
>>> i got a amd64 server running ubuntu hardy LTS with latest kernel
>>> 2.6.24-22-xen and xen 3.2 in Domain-0.
>>>
>>> The server "freezes" randomly, by freezing i mean there is no log in
>>> syslog or any other log, nothing onscreen, no kernel panic, just freeze.
>>>

>> You've performed a full memtest86 check of your RAM to confirm its good?
>>

> yes i did a full memtest.
> somehow i finally got some error logs shortly before the freeze happens
> by disabling usb hub in bios - rly strange. as mentioned before if i
> boot up the normal 2.6.24-22 kernel without running in xen dom0 all
> works perfectly fine.

    It sounds like some part of your computer is getting too hot and
then failing. This leaves no log entry and it could be something
stressed when you run xendom0 whatever that is. I googled xen dom0 and
found it speeds up your server and that makes me even more certain your
computer is getting too hot. I would check around the CPU.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User