Install ubuntu next to Windows?

elmo elmo at ne.rr.com
Fri Dec 12 00:00:55 UTC 2008

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: elmo
  To: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
  Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2008 12:06 PM
  Subject: Install ubuntu next to Windows?

  I've been asked to install ubuntu in a computer that has a single hard drive and I'm not sure how to
  start.   I know it preferrable to have a separate hard drive but am not sure if installing in  a separate partition
  on the single hard drive that already  has Windows  will do the trick.  There's plenty of room on that
  single HD for another partition or two.  An external HD is not an option.

  What are the chances for success?.

  Elmo

  I just  went ahead and tried it..  Ubuntu 8.10 is installed in a partition next to the Windows partition on that computer and it works fine.

  Elmo