Another networking problem

John French cjf at tow.org.uk
Thu Dec 11 17:14:51 UTC 2008

Mark Haney wrote :
> John French wrote:
[snip]

>> > I believe the problem is name resolution. From the Windows machines, I
>> > can ping any other machine by IP or name. From Ubuntu, I can ping by IP,
>> > but using a name always brings up 67.215.65.132, which, I think, is
>> > OpenDNS. I have tried to fix /etc/resolv.conf, but the Intrepid machine
>> > always changes it back. The Hardy server lets me change it, but my
>> > changes don't fix the problem. I can happily make all the IP's fixed or
>> > DHCP, if so advised. I guess I have messed up my config files trying
>> > different solutions. Should I re-install ?  And, if so, Intrepid or Hardy ?
>> >
>> > John
>> >

> I'd certainly say the problem is name resolution. What I"m curious about
> is how the Windows machines can ping by name?  Is it able to ping by
> FQDN?  Or by just hostname? What does /etc/resolv.conf say?
[snip]

That's fascinating !  I had been pinging from Windows with just the
hostname (E50, etc.), and that worked. If I use the FQDN, it goes off to
67.215.65.132.

/etc/resolv.conf on my Hardy server reads :

domain		tow.org.uk
nameserver	192.168.0.1

/etc/resolv.conf on my Intrepid desktop reads :

domain		tow.org.uk
nameserver	208.67.222.222
nameserver	208.67.220.220

John