Lenovo 3000 n200 optical drive problems

squareyes squareyes at internode.on.net
Thu Dec 11 12:10:50 UTC 2008

Lorenzo Luengo wrote:
> squareyes escribió:
>
>> Hi all,
>> does anyone on this list a fully functional Lenovo 3000 n200 laptop?
>> Mine has never had a properly working optical drive. Will install
>> operating systems then doesn't exist in either Win XP or Ubuntu.
>> Been in touch with Lenovo techs a number of times, different answers
>> each time.
>>

> Have you tried upgrading/downgrading firmware for your drive? Once i had
> a drive that didn't want to record any dvd, after upgrading firmware it did.

Many thanks,
have found on a Slackware site that indeed firmware update is necessary,
but have been unable to find update. Drive is Hitachi-LG GMA-4082N-Z,
Hitachi says
they only deal with equipment suppliers, and can't find it as named on
Lenovo site.
Will give them another ring tomorrow in the faint hope of some sort of
solution. If not will learn to live with the external
USB connected drive. Will also check out if this situation breaches Anti
Trust laws. Am fed up.
Have downloaded "Driver Detective" and see if I can get Cdrom to work on
Win XP, although this will not get it going
on Ubuntu.
Guess I have learn't not to get another Lenovo laptop. :-)
Would have thought something as basic as an optical drive in this day
and age should
present no problems, just work.
Thanks again,
Winton