Selling Linux to Windows Users

H.S. hs.samix at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 15:13:03 UTC 2008

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> 2008/12/10 Knapp <magick.crow at gmail.com>:
>>> What is
>>> important is what can you DO with Linux that you cannot do with
>>> WIndows? Not what particular applications you can run.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Dotan Cohen
>> 1 Relax knowing that it will not crash.
>
> KDE crashes on me regularly.

I am using KDE primarily on one of my machines. It doesn't crash. This
Debian Testing so your setup on Ubuntu may be the problem.

>> 4 No matter what people say about Linux having viruses, I have yet to
>> see one in the wild. Has anyone here EVER seen one? I sure did with
>> Windows!!
>
> This is a valid point.

This is one big reason that I always suggest Ubuntu to senior users are
just starting to use a computer for email and internet stuff. No need to
worry about keeping virus definitions up to date. No need to install
resource hogging anti-virus software. The peace of mind this gives for
the maintainer of the machine is unparalleled!

>> 8 Install new software by typing one line.
>
> Some people prefer to click their way to software installation. But I
> give you this one!

Plus, no need to for a fast internet connection to maintain the remote
machine. A shell is all one needs. Again, huge benefit.

>> 9 Remove software without messing up the OS.
>
> Agreed in a general sense.

It is difficult to exaggerate the usefulness of this point. How many
times Windows users have been very afraid to remove older programs know
knowing what will break afterwards! Again, a huge advantage.

I think the good thing to take from this thread is that a user prefers
whatever he is familiar and comfortable with. Comfort comes with
familiarity. So if a virgin user is started off on Ubuntu, he will feel
comfortable with time (the same way he would have felt with Windows).
And judging from debate on this thread, there is hardly any big reason
to not introduce new users to Ubuntu for typical basic computer usage.

ever having been read.