Strange HDD behavior?

Brian McKee brian.mckee at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 13:51:04 UTC 2008

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 3:07 AM, Amichai Rotman <amichai at iglu.org.il> wrote:

> Now all is OK, but I noticed my Kubuntu 8.04.1 box's HDD led is blinking
> franticly for ours.

Is that for hours?

> I ran the top command and I see 'kjournald' is high on the list, often at
> the top of it...

kjournald is related to the journal for ext3.   What do you see in
/var/log/messages or syslog?

To do a quick hard drive health check you could also install
smartmontools and run sudo smartctl -AH /dev/sda
Note that SMART isn't perfect - in my experience a drive marked bad is
going to die, but a drive that it says is ok could still have issues.

Brian