Or then again we could make Linux illegal

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Wed Dec 10 13:47:19 UTC 2008

Knapp wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 8:54 AM, Christopher J Combrink
> <chris at riply.co.za> wrote:
>> HAHAHAHAHAHA!
>>
>> Unfortunately, that's just the tip of the ice-berg :/
>>

>> On Wed, 2008-12-10 at 07:26 +0000, Richard Brown wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> <http://linuxlock.blogspot.com/2008/12/linux-stop-holding-our-kids-back.html>
>>>
>>> <calculating smile>Sits back and waits for the reaction</calculating smile>
>>>
>>> I have read with interest the discussion re Linux verses Ubuntu and
>>> have enjoyed the pros and cons. Personally I am a Mac user and will
>>> probably always be but I do use Linux a lot and spend a lot of time
>>> helping others move away from MS software. I found this piece
>>> interesting and would love to hear what others think?
>>> --
>>> Kind regards
>>> Rich
>
> Having read that I would say that I had no idea that some people were
> this uneducated! It is sad. Hopefully the kids know how wrong the
> teacher is and learn to think on their own.

I'm surprised a teacher would care much at all to take the time to tilt
at this windmill.

Most users don't care as long as it's not disturbing them and they get
their work done (and often it has to "be familiar" to them, read as they
use it at home and it works the same way as at home.)

Too often advocates act like linux is a cause to be championed and users
simply need to see the light so they stop choosing Linux. More often
users don't care. They use what came with the computer, what they can
readily get support from others for, and tend to be happy as long as it
interoperates with their emailed crap and downloaded games. Hiccup on
something like that then you get into explaining that they're not
running Windows and then they get upset that they aren't using what
everyone else is so they can play their bowling elves game from
sweetsuzy123234 at yahoos.com.

*sigh*

Maybe I'm just having a bad morning.