Selling Linux to Windows Users

Albert Charron albert at albertcharron.name
Wed Dec 10 02:22:33 UTC 2008

IMPORTANT: This post has inline answers...

Knapp wrote:

> 1 Relax knowing that it will not crash.

My current Windows installation crashes less than my ubuntu one
> 2 Have multiple desktops

With dual monitors, I have no use of multiple desktops... They sit there
for nothing
> 3 Rotating cube desktop with cool effects.

I hate the rotating cube... It's a resource hog, even with my new
computer... And it crashes...
> 4 No matter what people say about Linux having viruses, I have yet to
> see one in the wild. Has anyone here EVER seen one? I sure did with
> Windows!!

Didn't have a virus for years on my windows systems... The machines I
manage at work either... What you have to do: install the updates and
run a decent anti-malware... not that hard to do... BTW, I've been
rootkited a couple of times on Linux (not Ubuntu tho)
> 5 Easy, one click keyboard switching (diff langs and Dvorak.)

What about alt-shift in Windows?
> 6 Desktop cut and paste history
>
> 7 Install new software without paying

I run OpenOffice, Firefox, Thunderbird, Gimp, Pidgin on my windows
box... I've never paid for them. I have some Windows only applications
that are freeware too... Even on Ubuntu, you have to pay for some
software (I don't mind paying if an application works better than
something OpenSource...
> 8 Install new software by typing one line.

If the software is in the repository, and if it is up to date in the
repository.
> 9 Remove software without messing up the OS.

Well... You might have a valid point here... but I know of a couple of
apps that doesn't remove conf files or preferences under Linux too...
> 10 Make my laptop play music on my desktop with the wireless, note
> that the program is running on the laptop.

What's the point of doing that? If I'm on my laptop and want to listen
music, it's not at my desktop I want it to play...
> 11 Run 20 programs at the same time without worrying about one
> crashing the others.

I can do that on my windows installation too... it's even more efficient
than on some linux distributions...
> 12 Lock my kid out of all the spots and programs that I want him locked out of.

You can remove right to execute applications to specific users in
Windows too... Through NTFS permissions, through Global policies,
through permissions in the Registry...
> 13 Have an encrypted partition.

BitLocker on Vista does that.
> 14 Run a server, desktop and email server all on the same system for free.

That might be a valid point... for personal usage. For businesses,
you're better to keep the users out of the server... even with Linux...
> 15 Does Apatchy run on windows?

If you meant Apache, yes, it runs... I even serve PHP pages from my
desktop... You can run Perl too!
> 16 Run software that I have deleted. Bet you can't do that on windows. LOL

If I delete a software, I don't want to run it! Again, what's the point?
I've never tried that on Linux either!
> 17 Does Cream or Vim run on windows?

Never heard of Cream... Vim, no, it doesn't run, but you have some very
powerfull text editor too.
> 18 How about my cool icon that turns the DVD player to speed one using Bash?

Honestly, I really don't know what you're talking about here...
> OK, I have not used MS for many years. What can you kill from my list?

On that, I didn't want to say Linux isn't good, or that Windows is
better... My point is that a user uses what he's familiar with and
what's good for him. Currently, I'm running Vista on my laptop. This
puppy dualboots Kubuntu 8.10/Vista (I need Windows for some work stuff
and for some stuff don't work at all in Ubuntu - my xD card reader is an
example - or some stuff that don't work well (sound is a real pain)) .
When I introduced my 70yo father to computers last year, I installed
Ubuntu on an old laptop and he was really happy with that...

I use Ubuntu server on my home server and on a couple of servers at
work, and I use Windows on some other servers to fill some business
needs... I like both OSes... Both have their strengths and their
weaknesses. When I build computers for friends, I present both options
and it's up to them to choose if I install Ubuntu or if they install
Windows...

  Albert Charron
  Linux Counter member #157482
  Registered computers: 387105, 387106