f-spot, gthumb and digikam -- for "grandma user"

Brian McKee brian.mckee at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 21:37:47 UTC 2008

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 3:37 PM, H.S. <hs.samix at gmail.com> wrote:

OK, look - I'm not here to argue with you.  I just want to pass along
a couple of observations.
This will be my last post on the subject.

At this moment - iTunes and Picassa are arguably the most popular
media and photo programs anywhere.
They both have tens of millions of users.  Both of them have broken
completely with the file/folder concept.

*I* think they are popular precisely because they have done so.  I
don't think of a picture by the name of the folder I filed it in, I
think of it as 'that picture of my son I took at the family reunion a
couple of years ago.'

I can find that picture either by using a time line, or tags like
family reunion or my son's name.

I have that picture in a folder on my web server.  I'll be darned if I
can tell you what it's called off the top of my head.  I am a computer
geek that can recite the folder names of hundreds of significant
folders across more than a half a dozen operating systems.  But trying
to store pictures or music that way doesn't make nearly as much sense.
 Pictures and music have 'one to many' relationships in database
speak.

The software the comes with a Kodak camera, or iPhoto on a Mac, or
Amarok, or any number of other media related software has all gone
this way.  Heck, Google desktop, Gnome tracker, and Spotlight are all
trying to push that paradigm on the OS itself.

I'm glad folders and files works for you.  But you asked for comments,
so there's mine.

Brian