Selling Linux to Windows Users

Robert Holtzman holtzm at cox.net
Tue Dec 9 15:25:54 UTC 2008

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> 2008/12/9 Knapp <magick.crow at gmail.com>:
>> There is no "force" here. If Windows were better, I for one would love
>> to know about it! I might even switch back, if I had a lot of free
>> cash to give away.
>>

> Windows has better accessibility features. Scratch that- Windows HAS
> accessibility features. Gnome has nothing useful other, and all of
> KDE's accessibility features were abandoned in KDE 4.
>

> Windows has software for professionals. In my profession, engineering,
> what CAD software is available for Linux?

It depends on whether 3D modeling is needed.

http://www.tech-edv.co.at/lunix/CADlinks.html
http://linuxgazette.net/issue54/frost.html

It's too bad ProE discontinued linux support.

>> Having used Windows for years, studied with MS programmers and lived
>> in Seattle, I know what windows is. Why Linux is better is very
>> interesting to me and I posted it because I thought others might want
>> to know also. I personally think MS is on the more evil side of life.
>
> Evil? MS is a business, it is their job to lock you in.

On paper, their job is to make money for their shareholders by
satisfying customer demand. In practice, customer demand be damned. Lock
in is merely the tool they have chosen to use instead of actual product
improvement to enhance usability (not the same as feature creep).

                 ............snip...........

>> It took me a year to start
>> to feel at home with Linux. Now I would NEVER go back because of the
>> power and freedom that comes with this system. The politics of Linux
>> and the free software movement is also a bonus for me!
>
> And those who need those freedoms can use their FOSS programs on
> Windows. What freedom-giving Linux software does not run on Windows?

The big ones like Firefox or OpenOffice do but I seem to remember there
are many that are linux only. There are, however, equivalent apps for
windows.

--
Bob Holtzman
A day without fusion is like, a day without sunshine