Ubuntu and Nvidia

Karl F. Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 12:25:20 UTC 2008

Robert James wrote:
> Tried unsuccessfully a few months ago to dual boot install Ubuntu 8.04
> on a new Compaq laptop with an Nvidia graphics and found I could not
> get 1280 by 800 resolution.  It was less than 640 if I recall.  It was
> low enough that if I chose the wrong options I ended up with a
> resolution so low I could not see enough of the options to even get
> back to working low res.  The usual result - using my Vista recovery
> disk to kick Ubuntu out.  Had no success downloading other Nvidia
> drivers.
>
> Just the other day I downloaded the new 8.10, burned it to a disk and
> tried a live boot.  The resolution looks fine, but the scrolling with
> the mouse is jerky and wavy.  Does this mean the newest version will
> recognize and deal with Nvidia OK?  And if I do an install will the
> jerky, wavy scrolling on the screen disappear?
>
> I really would like to find a Linux distro that works on my laptop but
> really have come to dislike Vista recoveries!!!
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Rob
>

> Robert James
> robertjames at mountaincable.net

    While you have the liveCD working please open a terminal and write
lspci and find the line that tells the video software and send it here.
The jerky pointer is typical of the liveCD and is not likely to persist
after you load 8.10 so not to worry.

    When you load the software you need a nVidia driver software that
you can d/l from a tab that will show up with the update tab.

Karl