8.10 audio and video help

Alexia Hudspeth winempire003 at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 9 10:50:45 UTC 2008

Hello, I have Ubuntu 8.10 and this is my first linux distro. I am having sound and playback issues with mplayer while trying to play any file. Also all I get with any sound, including the start up tone, is static that sounds to me like a blown speaker. I am a hardware, not a software tech so this is very perplexing to me.
For the record, I have a Toshiba L305d-s5892, stock, just in case you need to know. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
-alex