how to deal with cameras on Hardy

H.S. hs.samix at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 20:45:30 UTC 2008

Hello,

I am trying to see how are cameras dealt with in Hardy. At present, if a
digital camera is connected via USB cable, f-spot pops up and gets the
photos and the photos can be saved to a folder (not sure if this is
necessary if f-spot keeps the photos in its own database).

However, no camera icon appears on the desktop.

I was wondering how to:
1. Make a camera icon appears on the desktop (while not having to have
others disks volumes appears as well).
2. Get the photos to a folder instead of in to f-spot (not familiar with
f-spot, is it a viable option for a total newbie to computers?).

The main idea is to let the user attach the camera via a USB cable, a
file browser pop up showing the camera contents from which the photos
can be dragged to a destination folder of the user's choice. This is
much more intuitive than f-spot (at least at preset) for the new user
since the user is already familiar with file copying and deleting and
not familiar with f-spot's GUI at all.

Comments?

Thanks.

ever having been read.