geforce fx5200 graphics card

Carlos Alberto Alves drcaa at predialnet.com.br
Mon Dec 8 19:36:55 UTC 2008

NoOp wrote:
> On 12/07/2008 11:08 AM, Carlos Alberto Alves wrote:
>> dwain wrote:
>>> hello,
>>> i am new to this group, new to ubuntu and a lost babe in the woods
>>> when it comes to linux.  i just switched from microsuse to ubuntu.
>>> but i say that not to start a flame war or be ot.
>>>
>>> after my install and updates i had a restricted nvidia driver
>>> available.  initially i chose the recommended driver.  had to
>>> install/deinstall the driver twice before i got the message to reboot
>>> to apply the driver.  the recommended driver doesn't work properly.
>>> the driver listed under the recommended driver is the choice with no
>>> problems.
>>>
>>> i didn't search the archives before posting this, but since i'm new to
>>> the group, i'd try to contribute what little i do know about my
>>> hardware and what i have found to work with ubuntu and what doesn't,
>>> as well as introduce myself.
>>>
>>> cheers,
>>> dwain
>>>
>> Have you already tried to install NVidia driver thru "Envy"? I install a
>> driver to a NVidia MX4000 and it is working fine.
>> ;-)
>
> To quote dwain:
>> i am new to this group, new to ubuntu and a lost babe in the woods
>> when it comes to linux.
>
> You might wish to explain just what 'Envy' is and how to use it.

Sorry for my extremely short answer.
I found Envy on this page...
http://www.albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html
It is an application for Debian and Ubuntu that detects your video card,
setup the proper driver and configure Xserver (xorg.conf). It works for
NVidia and ATI drivers. It also has a "uninstall" command and GUI and
textual interface. The homepage is self-explanatory.
;-)
* Carlos Alberto Alves                       *
* mailto:drcaa at click21.com.br                *
* mailto:drcaa at predialnet.com.br             *