Extending Ubuntu Partition

Brian McKee brian.mckee at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 18:05:53 UTC 2008

On Sun, Dec 7, 2008 at 7:21 PM, Himanshu Sharma <s.himanshu9 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am new to the Ubuntu world and was wandering if i can extend my ubuntu
> partition by using another fat 32 partition(after formatting it to ext3).
> Is it possible ?

Depending on what you mean - yes...  You can reformat a FAT partition
to ext3 and just mount it anywhere you like.
Heck, you don't even have to reformat it - although you'd likely want
to.  If that gets you what you need, then it's the easy safe way out.

Or, if the partitions are continuous you can boot from a live cd like
the gparted live cd and extend the existing partition to include the
FAT partition, then extend the file system to use the newly enlarged
partition.   Please note this kind of mucking around can go off the
rails and kill the patient so to speak, especially if you aren't
careful.  BACKUP FIRST! and test your backups :-)

Brian