Intrepid intermittent internet

Lance Hoffmeyer lhoffmeyer at burke.com
Wed Dec 3 19:11:31 UTC 2008

Hey all,

I am using Ubuntu Intrepid with an AMD 64 Dual core 5000+
on a Gigabyte GA-MA78GPM-DS2H board with a PCI
3Com 3c905c NIC.  I could never get the onboard NIC to
work so I inserted the 3Com figuring that the 3Com cards usually
work.
Kernel version 2.6.27-9 generic although I also have this problem
on the 2.6.26 version kernels as well.

I currenly have intermittent internet access.  Sometimes I can ping
the router and get 41ms times, sometimes the ping just times out.
It takes a long time to mount a file server and once I do it takes
extremely long times to move around the directories.

Downloading files from usenet is extremely slow as well.  Sometimes
it times out and sometimes downloads at 400Kb/sec.

I have a WinXP machine that has none of these problems.  Internet works
fine.  Usenet downloads at around 600Kb/Sec.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this intermittent internet access?
I would find to difficult to believe that both the onboard NIC and the
3Com NIC are malfunctioning (although not impossible) so I am guessing
this may have something to do with the kernel modules or some other
file.  Never had this problem before so not entirely sure what the problem
may be?

Thanks in advance,

Lance