Question from a 64-bit newbie (perhaps)

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Mon Dec 8 15:12:38 UTC 2008

Peter N Spotts wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I've just ordered a Dell laptop with 8.04 installed; my trusty
> six-year-old Toshiba is headed for a leisurely retirement with
> less rigorous demands from my ham radio gear.
>
> The processor on the new machine is the Intel Core 2 Duo. Dumb question:
> Am I heading into 64-bit land? I've plugged the chip name into Dr.
> Google and have come up with conflicting answers (perhaps because some
> sites were old and, at the time, uninformed).

Yeah, you'll have a 64-bit proc in that system.  But, that doesn't mean
you need to run the 64-bit OS on it.  You can run 32-bit if you so
desire, but with the 64-bit linux flash plugin (even if it's not
opensource) and pretty much all apps now with 64-bit native versions
available, I'd really think there's no reason to run 32-bit OS's anymore.

Well, unless you're running Windows.

quadraturae circuli

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support