Connecting to ftp with File Browser

scott redhowlingwolves at nc.rr.com
Sat Dec 6 07:00:46 UTC 2008

Ray Parrish wrote:

>>> Yes, I can, and here it is.
>>>
>>> ray at ray-desktop:~$ ftp www.rayslinks.com
>>> Connected to www.rayslinks.com.
>>> 220-Microsoft FTP Service
>>> 220 NTXPWUS59
>>> Name (www.rayslinks.com:ray): u********
>>> 331 Password required for u********.
>>> Password:
>>> 230-FTP Server
>>> 230 User u******** logged in.
>>> Remote system type is Windows_NT.
>>> ftp> pwd
>>> 257 "/u********" is current directory.
>>> ftp>
>>>
>>> As you can see from those results, I am initially in a folder named with
>>> my username for the account when in Terminal. I have tried to add this
>>> folder name to the url in the Nautilus location box, and Nautilus
>>> returns that it cannot find the folder. I'm using copy and paste to
>>> insure I do not misspell it.
>>>
>>> However, I know from looking at the folder structure within FileZilla,
>>> that the text file I can see in Nautilus is actually in the root folder
>>> of the account above that folder, so Nautilus doesn't automatically
>>> connect to the username folder on the server.
>>>
>>> Later, Ray Parrish
>>>

>> Hello again,
>>
>> Just a couple of notes that may make a difference here. I have two
>> domains hosted in the same location on the server, and the hosting
>> service has me create and specify a folder from which to load each
>> domain name. The actual folder hierarchy is as follows -
>>
>> /u********/links  [this is where www.rayslinks.com resides]
>> /u********/Poetry  [here I have www.writingsoftheschizophrenic.com]
>>
>> I think this could be confusing Nautilus somehow. I've tried to use one
>> of the folders below /links on the end of the url to see if that works,
>> and it returns not found as well.
>>
>> Later, Ray Parrish
>>

> I got it! Finally, after trying all kinds of variations on the url I was
> able to load it with the following one.
>
> ftp://u********@www.rayslinks.com/u********/links
>
> This loaded the file list at last! 8-) Now I can use Nautilus to upload
> files if I want to. Thanks for all the help!
>
> Later, Ray Parrish

Just as a heads up, I would change that url for your ftp server now that
it is posted to a public mailing list.

You do know how to do this,don't you? No put down intended. But I have
wasted a couple of websites by posting too much info.