Can't Navigate My LAN Or Ping

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Dec 5 22:03:44 UTC 2008

--- On Thu, 12/4/08, Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net> wrote:

> From: Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net>
> Subject: Re: Can't Navigate My LAN Or Ping
> To: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
> Date: Thursday, December 4, 2008, 12:40 PM
> Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> > --- On Thu, 12/4/08, Nils Kassube
> <kassube at gmx.net> wrote:
> > > I would uninstall network manager if you want to
> use static
> > > addressing.
> > > OTOH I would always prefer DHCP, even if the DHCP
> server is
> > > set up to
> > > always give the same address to individual
> interfaces.
> >
> > Thanks for the reply. I was about to purge network
> manager on my own
> > based on posts I've seen. Have use both DHCP and
> static with MN
> > installed on earlier versions with no issues. I'm
> using static as NoOP
> > convinced me that was better but I can be unconvinced
> if I will fix my
> > sharing issue as I have needs to copy files between
> PCs.
>
> Both should work, using DHCP just doesn't need that
> much manual
> configuration, IMHO. But you have done the configuration
> already, so it
> doesn't really matter that much.
>
> > If you have
> > more to add please do.
>
> Well, maybe you should also uninstall the package
> "avahi-autoipd". I had
> some trouble with those zeroconf addresses some time ago.
> But I don't
> know if that is part of your problem.
>
> > BTW, attyahoo dsl has always provided the same
> > IPs on this side of the router since day one.
>
> With "this side of the router" you mean the
> addresses for your machines?
> Well, that is usually your private network and not
> addresses provided by
> your provider. If you don't have a special setup it
> would be in the
> default network of your router.
>
> > > But how are your machines connected? Is there a
> direct
> > > cable between the
> > > machines or is there a hub / switch / router
> between the
> > > machines?
> > > I have a 2wiew router/modem hardwired to one and
> a linksys wmp54g
> > > wifi on the other and it all worked in hardy but
> not intrepid.
>
> OK, that clarifies your network layout.
>
> > I've never had an
> > issue pinging between machins before so don't
> really know what to
> > troubleshoot.
>
> Well, you wrote already that you can ping the own address
> of each machine.
> Then the next thing would be to ping the router, then the
> other machine.
>
> One last thought: Do you have a firewall installed on one
> of the machines?

Just a follow up on this issue> spent all afternoon with ATTYahoo chat and tech support, trying to find out my router IP.  Oh, what a headache that was.  But did find out that my router IP is the same as the gateway IP.  Still cant ping.  Output is:
>From 192.168.1.2 icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable
But, I still get online, can ping my maching and ping the static IP and nameservers used for the static IP's, all ok.  AttYahoo tell me I should be able to do so using the same nameserver/gateway used for DHCP, 192.168.1.254, but I can't in spite of everything else working.  Need some new idess, ATT tech support can't do it.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net