Gmail or Thunderbird problem?

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Fri Dec 5 18:49:39 UTC 2008

Derek Broughton wrote:

> When those outrageous laws were passed, nobody ever claimed that the
> data necessarily belonged to the ISP - the law _specifically_ overrides
> your right to privacy.  That's what you get for living in a police
> state, I'm afraid.

True nuff', but you can't give away something not yours...it's on the
provider's server, you agree to the terms of service, etc...they give it
away without you knowing. It's not practically "yours".

Point is that it may be the client's data, but if it's on their
resources, I think the claim of whose data it is can be kind of
nebulous. If it were truly yours other people wouldn't be able to come
along and take copies without your knowledge.

Again also I was referring in terms of an ISP, not service hosting where
you're just renting space (although they still can come and take your
servers or data without your knowledge or consent, depending on country
and laws).