lost all sound

H.S. hs.samix at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 03:52:37 UTC 2008

Bill Walton wrote:
> Hi H.S.,
>
> H.S. wrote:
>> Did you face sound problem when Firefox was running? In
>> other words, did sound work with Firefox not running when
>> it was installed?
>
> If I understand your question correctly, yes.  Sound was working, and
> _still_ seems to work properly outside of FireFox; both versions 2 & 3.  In
> V3 it worked a little.  In V2 it's not working at all.  The 'working'

Can you do a few additional experiments?
1. Start firefox and try to play an avi file in Totem.
2. Firefox closed, start skype and try to play a sound in your
application and then try the avi file again.
3. Firefox closed, skype closed, sound works okay in your app. and the
avi file?

If sound works in (3) above and not in (1) and (2) above, find out if
you have pulse audio running. Paste the output of the following commands:
$> ps uax | grep pulse
$> dpkg -l *pulse* | grep ^i

> wildbill at ubuntu-desktop:~$ aplay -l
> card 0: ICH5 [Intel ICH5], device 0: Intel ICH [Intel ICH5]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 0: ICH5 [Intel ICH5], device 4: Intel ICH - IEC958 [Intel ICH5 -
> IEC958]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Looks like you have only one output audio device (from the rear of the
computer?).

ever having been read.