Get Nvidia gamma/color settings to stick?

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Fri Dec 5 01:36:48 UTC 2008

Hardy 8.04.1

I've just been given an early Christmas present... an old Dell 1800FP
LCD monitor. Nice monitor, but driving me a little crazy due to the
1280x1024 resolution setting - gives me about 6 more inches on the
desktop so I'm having to readjust my mouse movements over years of a 17"
monitor mouse to eye-hand-coordination... icons are several inches to
the left of where they were before :-)

Anyway, I also have an Nvidia NV25GL [Quadro4 900 XGL] and have the
Nvidia X Server Settings application installed (nvidia-settings). The
problem is that I can use 'gksu nvidia-settings' to get the gamma etc.,
on the monitor to match the colors on my older monitor -- in fact, as
soon as I bring up nvidia-settings, the monitor immediately sets
properly. However, if I logout or reboot, the gamma & color settings
seem to revert to default. Open nvidia-settings again and they are
perfect for my session as soon as I open the application, even without
changing anything in the app.

So, does anyone know how I can go about getting the nvidia-settings to
stick? I have saved the settings via nvidia-settings to the
/etc/X11/xorg.conf file. Verified that the application does indeed
change the file (I've screwed it up several times testing). But no
matter what I do I can't seem to get the gamma that I want unless I
bring up nvidia-settings first.