Alternative to MS Exchange

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 4 22:37:14 UTC 2008

On 12/04/2008 01:15 PM, Anthony M. Rasat wrote:
> Richard Brown wrote:
>
>>> I'd say, Zimbra. There is community edition. The premium edition is way
>>> too expensive for me. But of course I don't think that would be a matter
>>> for a fortune 500 company. Or any company that can afford Exchange.
>>>
>> Do you know if there is a package that can be installed via apt-get etc please?
>>
>> If not what would be the best way to install it please?
>
> Unfortunately Zimbra is not using that kind of install approach. You
> see, you will need a dedicated machine to host it. Also, it quiet picky
> on which Linux distro (I chose Centos 5 BTW).

Interesting... they have packages for Dapper and Hardy:
http://www.zimbra.com/community/downloads.html

and Ubuntu is floggng the desktop by adding it to the partner repo:

http://www.ubuntu.com/news/zimbra-desktop

> I think you should check out their wiki first, http://wiki.zimbra.com.
>
> However, the end result would be... let's just say I'm a happy Zimbra user.

http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?title=Ubuntu_8.04_LTS_Server_%28Hardy_Heron%29_Install_Guide

Is that Install Guide not correct? [Note: I'm asking as I've never
installed it... so please don't think that I'm attempting to discount
your advise :-)]