Help with gconftool-2

Brian McKee brian.mckee at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 19:29:16 UTC 2008

Anybody know how to set the screensaver from the command line?

Using gconf-editor I figured out the key that changes is
/apps/gnome-screensaver/themes

Using gconftool-2 I can get the string back
  gconftool-2 --get /apps/gnome-screensaver/themes
  [screensavers-gltext
and set it
  gconftool-2 --type string --set /apps/gnome-screensaver/themes
"[screensavers-gltext]"

But the GUI just shows the screensaver isn't set to anything in particular....

I can change it using the GUI, and gconftool-2 shows the same string
back as the one I set.
Maybe there's a second key pair or something?  A quick web search
seems to say I'm on the right track.

Brian