Bluetooth mouse issues

Ray Parrish crp at cmc.net
Thu Dec 4 05:33:01 UTC 2008

Tony Yarusso wrote:
> Okay, I need someone to explain to me how this is supposed to work.  I
> got a bluetooth dongle and mouse, and I'm trying to set them up with
> Ubuntu.  I've tried with both 8.04 and 8.10 on the system.  Under
> 8.04, I can't for the life of me figure out how to add the device
> through the GUI, but 'hidd --search' connects okay.  Under 8.10, the
> applet method works for that.  In both cases, the mouse is no longer
> recognized after a reboot.  Under 8.04, I just have to do the same
> command.  Under 8.10, I have to first delete the device and then
> re-add it.  I tried the workaround mentioned on the wiki, but that
> didn't seem to do anything (although that page is very confusingly
> written, so I'm really not sure what to do).
>
> At this point I don't really care whether I use 8.04 or 8.10 to do
> this - I just want it to work and still work after a reboot.  What do
> I need to do?

I've seen problems like this before while reading the groups, and one
way you can do it on the 8.04 machine is to put your command 'hidd
--search' in the boot up scripts. I'm pretty new to Linux so I'm not
sure exactly how to do that, but I'm sure the answer can be found easily
in the group archives. Just search for messages on "init.d" I think the
folder name is, and that should yield some relevant results.

Later, Ray Parrish

Trouble shooting and Fixing Windows