Can't Navigate My LAN Or Ping

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 3 21:36:48 UTC 2008

Using Intrepid 64 bit with Samba, kde4 file sharing setup, and static IP's. Intrepid set up DHCP by default and initially thought that may me the problem. Have since set up static IP on Intrepid but still no joy. Network Manager is still installed and I may need to remove it; but don't know. I can ping each machine(2) from itself but not to the other. Both Nautilus and Dolphin worked in 8.04 but don't connect to server in 8.10. I have installed nfs on both systems and /etc/exports show the shared home folder(rw for each IP, hostname on my lan). When I run export sudo exportfs -a, I get output like

exportfs: /etc/exports [1]: Neither 'subtree_check' or 'no_subtree_check' specified for export "ubuntu:/home/lchata".
  Assuming default behaviour ('no_subtree_check').
  NOTE: this default has changed since nfs-utils version 1.0.x

for each IP and hostname in my lan. I may be missing something with NFS as I've just done what I've discovered googling on file sharing and really don't know what I'm doing. I also don't know what the messages mean.
I checked what I had in gutsy hosts that worked and added the other machines IP and hostname to each, but still no joy.

Would some kind list user answer these questions to get me started on the right track:

1. Do I even need samba and nfs to share files between machines and r/w to each home dir and tempdir in home which are both shared folders?
2. Could network manager be causing the problem? I will purge it if it is. I can access the internet from both machines.
3. My problem is likely something simple that I'm overlooking since file sharing ovev nautilus/doplphin worked great with gutsy 64 bit. So, If someone could give me a clue what to do or look for, it would be most appreciated. I have no clues what to do currently.

Thanks for any help, ideas, suggestions whatever,

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net