removing an application

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Wed Dec 3 12:26:46 UTC 2008

Norman,

norman wrote:
> I have always assumed that when one used Synaptic to totally remove an
> application that is what happened. So, I opened Synaptic, searched for
> ufraw found two applications and totally removed them. Then, to make
> sure there were no files remaining I used search for files and
> immediately found 47 files all with ufraw in them. Could someone please
> explain to me what is going on and tell me how I can best remove all the
> files connected with ufraw.
>
> I need to do this because I am trying to find out why the ufraw I have
> is not doing what it is supposed to do and it has been suggested that
> perhaps there are residues of an old version which are interfering with
> the version I now have. So, I thought that if I removed all the files
> connected with ufraw and then reinstalled the new version it might solve
> the problem.

Where the files that you found? Synaptic will not remove any files in
the user's home directory associated with ufraw, Only the system files.
Complete removal should remove system config files. removal only will
leave the config files and remove everything else.

HTH.

Regards,
Tony.

--
Tony Arnold,                        Tel: +44 (0) 161 275 6093
Head of IT Security,                Fax: +44 (0) 870 136 1004
Manchester M13 9PL.                 Email: tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk