[solved] Using mobile as modem Via bluetooth

deek learning deek.ref at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 07:12:03 UTC 2008

Hi friends i connected internet successfully in my PC with ubuntu 8.04
using my Nokia 6600 as modem via bluetooh i spent few hours in
googling and found out the i am posting the method how i connected i
found this in one web site but i forgot the address but i the
contents.
Here is the way:
You need to follow the steps below to connect to the internet using a
bluetooth connection:

1: Switch on bluetooth on your phone and the computer. Make both your
computer and phone visible to other devices.

2: Do a search from Linux for bluetooth devices near you. For this,
you need to follow as:

Open terminal / shell / console (whatever you call it)

switch to root user using the command ' su'.

pass the command ' hcitool scan '

After sometime you will get the list of devices with their device
address (also called as MAC address) and the device name. . . It will
look something like:

12:12:12:12:12:12 PhoneName

Note down the device address of your phone (it will appear the place
of the 12:12:12:12:12:12 , but in a similar format). You will need to
use it later.

3: Now, you need to find which channel on your phone is assigned to
what service on the phone. For this you will need to browse the device
services. To do this, pass the following command:

sdptool browse 12:12:12:12:12:12

NOTE: Replace 12:12:12:12:12:12 with your phone address.

You will get something like this (I am showing the output I get for my phone):

Code:

Browsing 00:18:13:47:13:BE .

Service Description: Sony Ericsson W810

Service RecHandle: 0x10000

Service Class ID List:

"PnP Information" (0x1200)

Service Name: OBEX SyncML Client

Service RecHandle: 0x10001

Service Class ID List:

UUID 128: 00000002-0000-1000-8000-0002ee000002

Protocol Descriptor List:

"L2CAP" (0x0100)

"RFCOMM" (0x0003)

Channel: 1

"OBEX" (0x0008)

Service Name: Dial-up Networking

Service RecHandle: 0x10002

Service Class ID List:

"Dialup Networking" (0x1103)

"Generic Networking" (0x1201)

Protocol Descriptor List:

"L2CAP" (0x0100)

"RFCOMM" (0x0003)

Channel: 2

Profile Descriptor List:

"Dialup Networking" (0x1103)

Version: 0x0100

Service Name: Serial Port

Service RecHandle: 0x10003

Service Class ID List:

"Serial Port" (0x1101)

Protocol Descriptor List:

"L2CAP" (0x0100)

"RFCOMM" (0x0003)

Channel: 3

Service Name: HF Voice Gateway

Service RecHandle: 0x10004

Service Class ID List:

"Handfree Audio Gateway" (0x111f)

"Generic Audio" (0x1203)

Protocol Descriptor List:

"L2CAP" (0x0100)

"RFCOMM" (0x0003)

Channel: 4

Profile Descriptor List:

"Handsfree" (0x111e)

Version: 0x0101

Service Name: HS Voice Gateway

Service RecHandle: 0x10005

Service Class ID List:

"Headset Audio Gateway" (0x1112)

"Generic Audio" (0x1203)

Protocol Descriptor List:

"L2CAP" (0x0100)

"RFCOMM" (0x0003)

Channel: 5

Profile Descriptor List:

"Headset" (0x1108)

Version: 0x0100

Service Name: OBEX Object Push

Service RecHandle: 0x10006

Service Class ID List:

"OBEX Object Push" (0x1105)

Protocol Descriptor List:

"L2CAP" (0x0100)

"RFCOMM" (0x0003)

Channel: 6

"OBEX" (0x0008)

Profile Descriptor List:

"OBEX Object Push" (0x1105)

Version: 0x0100

Service Name: OBEX File Transfer

Service RecHandle: 0x10007

Service Class ID List:

"OBEX File Transfer" (0x1106)

Protocol Descriptor List:

"L2CAP" (0x0100)

"RFCOMM" (0x0003)

Channel: 7

"OBEX" (0x0008)

Profile Descriptor List:

"OBEX File Transfer" (0x1106)

Version: 0x0100

Service Name: OBEX IrMC Sync Server

Service RecHandle: 0x10008

Service Class ID List:

"IrMC Sync" (0x1104)

Protocol Descriptor List:

"L2CAP" (0x0100)

"RFCOMM" (0x0003)

Channel: 8

"OBEX" (0x0008)

Profile Descriptor List:

"IrMC Sync" (0x1104)

Version: 0x0100

Service Name: NAP service

Service Description: NAP description

Service RecHandle: 0x10009

Service Class ID List:

"Network Access Point" (0x1116)

Protocol Descriptor List:

"L2CAP" (0x0100)

PSM: 15

"BNEP" (0x000f)

Version: 0x0100

SEQ8: 0 6

Language Base Attr List:

code_ISO639: 0x656e

encoding: 0x6a

base_offset: 0x100

Profile Descriptor List:

"Network Access Point" (0x1116)

Version: 0x0100

Service Name: Mouse & Keyboard

Service Description: Remote Control

Service Provider: Sony Ericsson

Service RecHandle: 0x1000a

Service Class ID List:

"Human Interface Device" (0x1124)

Protocol Descriptor List:

"L2CAP" (0x0100)

PSM: 17

"HIDP" (0x0011)

Language Base Attr List:

code_ISO639: 0x656e

encoding: 0x6a

base_offset: 0x100

Profile Descriptor List:

"Human Interface Device" (0x1124)

Version: 0x0100

4: We need to see which channel is assigned to the service "Dial Up
networking". Do not be worried by the long output. It is easy to find
it. In the above output (in the code box), search for the lines which
say "Service Name" and fins the one which says "Dial Up networking".
Then follow look through it till you come across another "Service
Name". You can see that in the above output, the block below matches
our requirements:

Quote:

Service Name: Dial-up Networking

Service RecHandle: 0x10002

Service Class ID List:

"Dialup Networking" (0x1103)

"Generic Networking" (0x1201)

Protocol Descriptor List:

"L2CAP" (0x0100)

"RFCOMM" (0x0003)

Channel: 2

Profile Descriptor List:

"Dialup Networking" (0x1103)

Version: 0x0100

In this entry, the channel number is given. We see that the channel is
'2' (as shown by the line Channel : 2).

Note down the channel number. We will need in the next step.

5: Now you have all the required information for the work to be done.
Now you need your computer to recognize the phone as the modem. for
this, pass the following command:

Code:

rfcomm bind 0 12:12:12:12:12:12 2

Remember to replace the address 12:12:12:12:12:12 with your device
address and the number '2' at the end with the channel number you will
get for YOUR phone.

So till now, you have made Linux recognize the phone as a modem via
Bluetooth . Now you need to dial to connect to the internet. For this
you will have to copy the following as save it as /etc/wvdial.conf
using the root account:

Code:

[Modem0]

Modem = /dev/rfcomm0

Baud = 230400

SetVolume = 0

DialCommand = ATDT

FlowControl = Hardware(CRTSCTS)

[Modem1]

Modem = /dev/ttyACM0

Baud = 230400

SetVolume = 0

DialCommand = ATDT

FlowControl = Hardware(CRTSCTS)

[Dialer GPRS]

Username = 1

Password = 1

Phone = *99***1#

Mode = 1

Inherits = Modem0

[Dialer DATA]

Username = <>

Password = <>

Phone = *99***1#

Mode = 1

Inherits = Modem1

[Dialer Defaults]

Modem = /dev/rfcomm0

Baud = 230400

Init1 = ATZ

Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0

Init3 = AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","airtelgprs.com"

ISDN = 0

Modem Type = Analog Modem

Area Code =

Phone = *99***1#

Username = <>

Password = <>

Ask Password = 0

Dial Command = ATDT

Stupid Mode = 1

Compuserve = 0

Force Address =

Idle Seconds = 3600

DialMessage1 =

DialMessage2 =

ISDN = 0

Auto DNS = 1

Now when dialing via Bluetooth, you will have to pass the following command:

Code:

sudo wvdial GPRS

This will also ask for the root password. Enter the password and it
should proceed.

(Remember your firefox should be in online mode :-) )

----
I am new to LINUX