BRO MFC-490CW Drivers Issue Again

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 3 04:27:10 UTC 2008

--- On Tue, 12/2/08, user1 <bqz69 at telia.com> wrote:

> From: user1 <bqz69 at telia.com>
> Subject: Re: BRO MFC-490CW Drivers Issue Again
> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
> Date: Tuesday, December 2, 2008, 7:46 PM
> On Tue, 2008-12-02 at 17:32 -0800, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> > Just finished a fresh Intrepid install and find that
> there are no printer drivers for the above printer. Intrepid
> recognises my printer as a raw printer but can't print
> from OO.o nor a test page. CUPS doesn't have a driver
> for my model yet. Since the list convinced me of the dangers
> of using the --force-* dpkg option, I wondering if there is
> any alternative to the procedures listed on the Brother
> site. If not, I don't see any choice to using the
> --force option.  Anyone know if the deb driver is proceeding
> downstream for inclusion in Intrepid or even if Brother
> plans to do so. Any info welcomed. Thanks,
> >
> > Leonard Chatagnier
> > lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
> >
> For your information, I have an Epson EPL-5900L printer,
> and I have had
> to give up to get it to print from my linux long ago, and
> can only make
> it print from windows - that is, not all printers work in
> linux - better
> hope for your printer??

Oh, my printer works in Ubuntu if I install the 32 bit drivers on my 64 bit Intrepid from the Brother site using the dangerous sudo dpkg --force-architecture drivername. There was a big rant over using the --force option between me and other list menbers. So, I posted to see if there were any alternatives. I'm surprised you can't make your Epson work in ubuntu. I owned 2 before the Brother and always found a correct driver(cups). My one and only issue with epson printers is there short service life for me anyway. Print quality was excellant on my cx 6400 and 5800F but ink cost as with HP was high. I'm still using the original ink cartridges that came with the printer bought in February this year.
You must either have a very new or old Epson not to have cups driver. Brother at least gives Linux support, Epson doesn't. Sorry for the rant but I like my Brother.
Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net