so, what is your /etc/fstab entry for ntfs partition?

H.S. hs.samix at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 00:29:47 UTC 2008

Hello,

I recently noticed that on a dual boot machine running Windows XP and
Ubuntu 8.04 if the Window's Desktop folder is opened in nautilus and
foo.txt or foo.htm file is double clicked on, nautilus thinks it is an
executable (aparently the x bits are set for the files) and wants to run
it. It should, however, open the .txt files in a text editor and .htm
files in a web browser.

I have since changed the /etc/fstab entry for the windows partition to this:
UUID=<uid here> /media/WindowsXP-data ntfs
defaults,rw,noexec,nosuid,umask=007,gid=46 0       1

Actually, I just inserted "rw,noexec,nosuid", specially making the
Winodws partition non-executable, in the earlier entry and now nautilus
works alright.

I am wondering, what do  others use in their /etc/fstab entry to mount
an NTFS partition to share its data in Ubuntu.

Regards.

ever having been read.