No Gnome menu, cannot move applications.

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 2 23:23:06 UTC 2008

On 12/02/2008 12:17 PM, ubuntu dave wrote:
> I just installed ubuntu 8.10.
>
> If i just login I see nothing but a beige screen.
> If I login after selecting fail safe terminal I can run gnome-terminal & .
> Then I get the menu bar.
> However when I start an application it is locked in the upper left corner.
> I cannot move it even to start another application.
>
> Any ideas?

Maybe. My _guess_ would be that you _may_ have an older intel video
chipset.

I just ran into this on a machine with an 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE
Chipset Integrated Graphics Device and it does just this. I ended up
blowing out 8.10 and installed 8.04 (hardy instead). Afterwards, I went
looking to find out why and found that there is a conflict between the
chipset and compiz. Oddly enough, compiz runs 'out-of-the-box' using
hardy on the same machine.

<http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/810#Hangs%20with%20desktop%20effects%20on%20Intel%20830MG%20and%20845G%20video%20cards>
Give this a try first:
<quote>
Hangs with desktop effects on Intel 830MG and 845G video cards

There is a bug in the Intel video driver for the older intel 830 and 845
integrated video cards that are used on laptops like the IBM R30.
Desktop effects with compiz will not work on those chips and will freeze
the system. For new installations, please install using the safe
graphics mode (press F4 in the startup screen) on these systems and
disable desktop effects via System -> Preferences -> Appearance,
clicking on "Visual effects" and choosing "None".
</quote>

If not, then use Ctrl-Alt-F1 and login. Then:

sudo apt-get remove compiz compiz-core

Ugly, but supposedly it works. For me I'll just stick to hardy on that
machine.

References (in order that I went through them):
 Intrepid Ibex not compatible with Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics
Controller
 Intrepid Compiz hangs for intel(r) 82845G video cards
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+bug/277373
 cannot start Gnome session since intrepid beta on 845G-based system
with compiz enabled
 Intrepid Compiz hangs on login for i830MG, i845, and i945GM video cards
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/285250
 [i845G] Hard crash entering X