soundcard is not working

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Tue Dec 2 15:04:29 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 02 December 2008 14:15, Natalja Stas wrote:
> > Hi Natalja.
> >
> > Which make/model of laptop is it?
>
> Asus PRO58Vseries
>
> > Can you send the output of the following.
> >
> > cat /proc/asound/cards
>
> $ cat /proc/asound/cards
>   0 [Intel          ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
>                        HDA Intel at 0xf9ff8000 irq 22
>
> > It's also worth checking alsamixer controls for any muted ones (M key
> > toggles mut/unmute) , or sliders that need pushing up. Master, PCM,
> > Front, CD, are obvious ones, if they exist. To see all controls, open
> > alsamixer as below.
> >
> > alsamixer -D hw:0
>
> Everything is atleast on about 70% and nothing muted.
>
> > Go to link below, and save the script as, alsa-info.sh . Make it
> > executable, run it as ./alsa-info.sh , and post back the link to the site
> > where the data about your machine, and sounds has been uploaded to.
>
> http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=fe5e83a5694a69765c2f50517ed5f16fb541393d
>
> Best regards
> Natalja

Hi Natalja.

Is your Asus PRO58V series laptop a very new model. I ask because it may not
be fully supported yet in the alsa driver. Intrepid uses the 1.0.17 alsa
driver, and there are some model options you can try for asus machines, which
may or may not work. I also looked at the model options for the 1.0.18a alsa
driver, and see that more model options have been added for asus machines.
Before you try upgrading the alsa driver, try the model options below, which
are for the 1.0.17 alsa driver.

ALC662/663
   3stack-dig 3-stack (2-channel) with SPDIF
   3stack-6ch  3-stack (6-channel)
   3stack-6ch-dig 3-stack (6-channel) with SPDIF
   6stack-dig  6-stack with SPDIF
   lenovo-101e  Lenovo laptop
   eeepc-p701 ASUS Eeepc P701
   eeepc-ep20 ASUS Eeepc EP20
   m51va  ASUS M51VA
   g71v  ASUS G71V
   h13  ASUS H13
   g50v  ASUS G50V
   auto  auto-config reading BIOS (default)

They are easy to try. In Gnomes terminal do, sudo gedit, and navigate
to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base, and try them out, one at a time, by adding a
line as below to the bottom the alsa-base file. It's probably easiest to just
reboot to try out each one. You may find there are more controls in
alsamixer, or by some miracle the sound just starts to work.

example.
options snd-hda-intel model=g50v

While you try them out, I'll ask on the alsa development list to see if your
laptop is actually supported yet.

All the best.

Nigel.