Wireless issues, but oddly the opposite of what you normally hear....

Karl F. Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 23:21:33 UTC 2008

Steve Flynn wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 10:43 PM, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> On 12/01/2008 02:25 PM, Albert Charron wrote:
>>

>>> Vista might or might not be the culprit for not seeing the AP on channel
>>> 13. The driver of your wireless adapter, or the hardware itself might be
>>> the problem. Maybe the adapter has a problem with channels higher than
>>> 11 and the OEM just disabled those problematic channels in the driver...
>>>
>> On the linux side, could also be some issues with kernel drivers; I
>> think that laptop uses Intel wireless, so this may be related:
>>

> It does indeed use Intel wireless. I'll check out those bugs and see
> if I can add something into the mix with regards to the detail.
>
> At least I know I'm not going nuts! :)
>

>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/288401
>>  iwl3945 driver doesn't see !US wireless channels on UK laptop [intrepid
>> regression]
>>

> I can't recall from the top of my head which intel drivers are in use
> on the Linux side of the fence. I'll reboot and make usre I have my
> facts straight.
>
> Thanks chaps!

    This whole thing is a bag of worms. It has gone on enough! This guy
has ZERO WiFi problems. If there is no secret word his laptop works fine
both Linux and Windows.

    He has a problem with the secret coding or other crap that enters
when you go from one country to another. This IS NOT A wireless issue.
PERIOD :-)

Karl