Uninstallin Flashplayer?[Solved]

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 1 01:40:12 UTC 2008

--- On Sun, 11/30/08, Smoot Carl-Mitchell <smoot at tic.com> wrote:

> From: Smoot Carl-Mitchell <smoot at tic.com>
> Subject: Re: Uninstallin Flashplayer?
> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
> Date: Sunday, November 30, 2008, 3:12 PM
> On Sun, 2008-11-30 at 15:45 -0500, Daniel T Chen wrote:
>
> > Removing or purging the flashplugin-nonfree package
> will cause these
> > alternatives to be removed properly.  If you wish to
> be more thorough,
> > purge both flashplugin-nonfree and nspluginwrapper
> packages.
>
> I agree. I left the old packages in place because the new
> stuff is alpha
> software and I wanted to restore to the installed versions
> if I needed
> to do so quickly.

Thanks to both you guys, I've got the 64 bit flashplugin installed and so far it works great for an alpha. No skipping or stuttering, very smooth video. Tried several videos on youtube and all were perfectly played. Recommend it to all 64 bit users.
I did purge flashplugin-nonfree and it did remove all the symlnks in /etc/alternatives as I was told.  Good to know that as I didn't before. I put it back in as soon as I realized that I didn't have a record of all the browser links I needed to change. Like a good linux program, reinstalling flashplugin-nonfree reestablished all the links and I renamed them followed by remaking the correct links. I also left nspluginwrapper just in case there are some more 32 bit programs without a 64 bit version. Thanks to you two guys, Smoot Carl-Mitchell and Daniel T Chen, I was able to install the 64 bit flashplugin with some idea that I knew what I was doing. With help of course-:))
Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net