WLAN LED on Dell Latitude D630

Michele m.zarri at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 22:03:13 UTC 2008

Hello,

I am currently using the digest mode, so I hope the message gets
threaded correctly.

Rick wrote:

I have an HP/Compaq nc8230 with a similar wireless card (IPW2200). To
get the LED to work I created the file "/etc/modprobe.d/ipw2200" with
the single line "options ipw2200 led=1" (without the quotes). Maybe
something similar will work for the  IPW3945,  create
/etc/modprobe.d/ipw3945 and then with your favorite text editor add the
single line "options ipw3945 led=1". If /etc/modprobe.d/ipw3945 already
exists just add the single line above.

Hope that helps,
Rick

I tried that but I then realized that I am actually using the iwl3945
module rather than the ipw3945 module so the trick you suggested does
not work. I tried to create a iwl3945 file in /etc/modprobe.d/ but it
just killed my Wifi completely.

I googled and ubuntuforum-ed??? iwl3945 and discovered that there are
two easy ways to make the LED work
1. wait for intrepid
2. install the backports as suggested here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=4775205&postcount=5

Now I guess I will end up with option 1, but I wouldn't mind having a
go at solution number 2. The problem is that I do not know how to undo
the changes: is a
sudo apt-get remove linux-backports-modules-hardy-generic
sufficient to bring back the system where it is now? The thing is that
I am pretty happy with the way the laptop works and don't want to ruin
it for the sake of an led :-)

Cheers,

Michele