Rutebook and a lot more

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Fri Aug 29 16:25:01 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-08-29 at 01:44 -0500, Young wrote:
> Did you notice how "Using the Command Line" is under "Advanced Topics",

Usually, people consider it an advanced topic. I agree that we can
discuss whether the CLI paradigm (i.e., talking to the computer in its
own language) is really that much harder in the long term than the WIMP
interface (i.e., being reduced to pointing and grunting), but that does
not change the fact that the average user today will consider it
advanced.

(Aplogies to Neal Stephenson for stealing his analogies)

> along with "Writing Your Own Programs". That can't be encouraging to
> someone new, who hasn't written any programs, and just wants to get his
> program or graphics or whatever to work the way it's supposed to.

I don't know, I consider every GUI feature that needs to CLI get
working right a bug. And I can't remember when I last /needed/ the CLI
for such things in Ubuntu.

I grant you that sometimes it is unfortunately still required. This does
not make the CLI less advanced (in the eyes of the GUI user).

Anyway, I'm sure the documentation people welcome any input towards
improving the help structure. I just intended to point out that what was
requested already somewhat exists.

Cheers
Mario