I am so lost with this program!!!!

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 15:01:34 UTC 2008

2008/8/29 Mark Haney <mhaney at ercbroadband.org>:
> Wait a minute.  It wasn't an attack.  It may have sounded like it, but
> it wasn't.

Fair enough. I've also had my words sound like an attack went that was
not my intention.

> The point is, the person obviously knows very little about computers.
> I'm simply asking him to maybe ask the Unbuntu list the right questions
> to get answers.  Not 'how do I install Windows'?

I do agree that the question was off topic for this list.

> Sure, there was sarcasm in it, but hey, it's my birthday, I'm allowed.

Ugh. Sure.

> What gets me are the skulkers on the list who won't ask, then get pissed
> when it doesn't 'just work' and ask questions like this one.  We can't
> help if you don't ask.  We're not mind readers (ask my wife, she knows
> I'm not) but don't get angry and storm off like you are 9.

Agreed 100%, both about the "linix suxors becauz itz not like winderZ"
and about the wife knowing that men are not mind readers.

> I posted because I want to help this person.  One way or the other.  But
> that doesn't mean I have to suck up to them in my reply.

The problem is that we are at a turning point in Linux history. Very
recently (read: before *buntu) newbies were flamed to crisp on Linux
lists. Now, that stigma stands but it is no longer true. So for the
time being we must be welcoming. At least, that is my opinion, you are
free to disagree. Note that now that the lists are more welcoming to
noobs, the real system admins like yourself are both less in
proportion, and more valueable. And very much appreciated.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il